60 Years Ago (1957)
Thursday, February 09, 2017 8:00 AM
Dial telephone service would become effective in Belle Plaine on March 1, 1957. The exchange number for Belle Plaine was Triangle 3. Central Telephone Company purchased the properties from Minnesota Community Telephone Company, which had served the area for nearly 30 years.
Mrs. Catherine Farrell, widow of the late David Farrell, died at the Montgomery nursing home at the age of 80.
A new modern restaurant opened in Belle Plaine, the Shell Cafe, which occupied the north half of the new Shell Oil Station on Highway 169. Mr. and Mrs. Gary Schamel of Rockwell City, Iowa, operated the restaurant. The adjoining oil station was operated by Armin Koepp. Both leased the property from Carl Johnson.
Julius Haas, 69, passed away unexpectedly at the St. Peter hospital. The funeral was held at Redeemer Lutheran Church and interment in Oakwood Cemetery.
Joey Keating was appearing in the stage play, “Rainmaker” at the Edyth Bush Little Theatre. “Rainmaker” marked the 10th play he appeared in at the Bush Theatre.
Mrs. Pauline Woestehoff, widow of the late Chris Woestehoff, died at the age of 81.
The Rev. Eugene J. Abbott, son of Mr. and Mrs. Howard J. Abbott of St. Paul, was ordained priest in the Cathedral of St. Paul. Father Abbott was a son of the former Mary Egan of Green Isle and a nephew of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Doheny.
Miss Martha Herzberg, who had been matron at the Home for the Aged for 16 years, died at the home of her sister. She was 64 years old.
The Belle Plaine Boy Scouts took over the borough offices for one day. The Scout Mayor was Mark Albrecht, and the councilmen were Mike Hessian, James Harsh, Timmy Melchoir, Bruce Horman and Dick Hart, and the clerk was Darrell Perkins. George Doheny was the Scout Fire Chief.
Thomas H. Rendle, 69, of Huron, S.D., died at the Huron hospital. He left Belle Plaine about 40 years previous to make South Dakota his home, where he engaged in railroad work.
Mrs. Anna Anderson, widow of the late Lars John Anderson, died at her home in San Francisco Township at the age of 85.
At East Union Lutheran Church took place the marriage of Miss Virginia Laabs, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earney Laabs, to Donald Nestrud, son of Mr. and Mrs. O. Nestrud of St. Croix Beach.
New Ulm and Waseca, both former Double A towns, were admitted to the Minnesota River League on a one-year trial basis.
The Eldridge Edberg 150-acre farm three miles east of Belle Plaine was purchased by Chas. Ruehling for his son Orville. The Dale Edbergs moved to town and bought the Harry Kerkow home.